My photo
A gentleman thief in search of common sense.

Friday, June 26, 2009

It happens.

So after I finished setting up this blog, writing the first post, and changing my homepage in my forum accounts (previously I had my Brickshelf as my homepage) I went outside and did some work on a trailer I am tearing apart. This was quite invigorating, mostly because I was actually doing something constructive (or as the case would have it, destructive) on my day off. It was especially invigorating because I had already made good use (to me at any rate) of my time by finally starting up this blog. Then I go out and do real manly work on the trailer (nothing can be more manly than swinging a hammer and smashing things) and then I go and get in a game of Bunnock before it gets too dark out. I'll leave Bunnock for another time, but let it suffice to say that I am in desperate need of practice and any game I get in is a good use of my time.

So yeah, I get three useful things done on my day off and have great a real invigorating feeling. But it was during the destruction of the trailer that I felt the best. The trailer is a 40-year-old beast that everything was broken on. My parents gave it to me to do with, as I will when they bought a new one. I planned pretty much from the start to tear it down and make a flatbed out of it. However, friends, family and co-workers whom I kept telling this to always seem surprised that I was tearing it apart. Most of them it would seem would have rebuilt it. Being more mechanically (or whichever trade is most suited to rebuilding trailers) inclined than me, they didn't find the prospect impossible. I however, not being all that knowledgeable didn't even consider it a possibility. But in order to prevent my lack of knowledge from showing and making me look less macho, I had to try and make a compelling argument that it was better to just make a flatbed. I don't know if I succeeded or not.

But either way, I found out tonight that I made the right call. As busted up as everything was up to this point, it was fixable, to some anyway. But when I took down the last window, I noticed something that would make repairs a whole lot more complicated. The wooden frame was rotten. And I don't mean a little brown and mouldy. I mean rotten to the core, rotten enough that it literally broke up in my hands. Well not literally, I didn't touch the stuff, but you get the drift. Now as I said, I am not all that well versed on constructiony stuff like some, but I am fairly certain that if the wooden frame of a trailer is rotten, then there is nothing you can do but salvage the metal floor frame. I guess that once in awhile I can be right. It happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment