My photo
A gentleman thief in search of common sense.

Monday, October 12, 2009

I was framed!

So in that last post, I totally forgot to mention one of the most interesting events that happened to me at BrickCon. And I am not referring to the free Spongebob SquarePants Lego set I got, which, by the by, I shouldn't complain about, for Steve Witt would probably repeat himself and say, "I'm sorry your free stuff isn't perfect."

Anyway, I figured I might as well address an entire post to this topic. So on Saturday night at BrickCon, they had the blind build, where 20 people try and build a small set without being able to see it. I had my name down for it and was one of the ones selected. It was a cool thing to be in, with my adrenaline level rising every minute. We had half an hour to finish in, and for some unbelievable cool reason, I finished first, by a good 20 seconds too!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't win. Why you may ask? Because the next closest person had fewer errors than I did. For every misplaced piece you received a 10 second penalty, or something to that effect. This includes coloured pieces as well. So basically, the reason I didn't win was because I couldn't tell by feel if a piece was red or orange.

It makes perfect sense really. Why, all of the great builders can tell the moment they touch a piece what colour it is. I simply haven't master the craft enough to tell.

*Insert calming breaths*

Whatever, it's water under the bridge I guess. I'm not that sore of loser to complain on and on about not winning.

Still!

I do know that if I ever hosted a contest like that, I wouldn't make misplaced colours a time penalty. To me, doing that means that the outcome of the contest is determined as much by luck as by skill, which makes the whole point moot if you ask me. Why not just have the contestants randomly put pieces together, and whoever happens to come closest to the real thing win? Or why not just draw lots? If there was a tie, I could understand using the colours as a tiebreaker, but nothing more.

Sigh, perhaps I am a sore loser. But with as much right to be sore as any loser had. Oh well, such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment