My photo
A gentleman thief in search of common sense.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday after BrickCon, (close enough)

So I guess I have no excuse not to post, now that BrickCon is over.

*Sob* BrickCon is over! (Insert many a tear here)

My flickr link to the pictures I took. Linky The pictures, especially of the people, are more than iffy, as to why, I can only speculate. My camera is just one of those relatively inexpensive credit card ones. For whatever reason it will only take stable pics on a tripod, regardless of what the iso is set at. It's weird. It does its job of taking pics of Lego well enough, but try and use it for it designed function and it sucks. Maybe next year I should borrow a higher end camera from a relative.

I did take a fair bit of video, which I am in the process of uploading, and provided I can figure out both youtube and how to rearrange my video, it will be posted online.

The pics save me any necessity of talking about the creations there. I will say though, that just like last year, I am inspired to build better and bigger again. Though I more than quadrupled my displayed area at BrickCon, as compared with last year, I still was a tiny contributor, when compared with some.

Socializing was way different than last year. I actually knew a few people beforehand, had a couple of planned events where I knew I could hang around, (CC supper, driving to the Lego store, picking up Beckie at the airport) plus, I shared a room with four other attendees. Two of whom, Aliencat from CC and his wife, I hung out with for a great portion of the Con. I must say, beforehand, I had more than a few misgivings about sharing a room, with other people period, much less a strange couple from Holland that I had never met, or for that matter, I don't think anyone had ever met in person. Yet, it was an unbelievable blast hanging with them. Also met a few more castle people who I hung out with, some of them quite frequently. I imagine the fact that I had already been to a Con helped out immensely with the hanging out aspects.

Spent a ton of money at the Lego store, both my own and the family's. Gonna be building sets for awhile. The drive up and down was pretty much a copy of last year's. Got varying amounts of sleep...stayed up later than I should have often as not, but I think I was more rested over all than last year. Maybe it's just because I didn't have the stress from driving in Seattle that I had last year. This time I knew which way was North just about all the time, and found the parking stall for the Con on the first try, and didn't have to loop around any. I also made my way to the airport, and back, hazard free. Much better than last time. I also wasn't as disoriented coming over the mountains. My sense of the north, and the compass's usually agreed with each other. And coming back to Kamloops on Sunday night, there was very bright moon that gave me a general idea of what kind of country I was traversing at the time.

Sigh, I can't believe it's over, and I really, really, really wish it wasn't. The wish made all the greater because when I went back to work, it was snowing. And it was snowing today, and I expect it to be snowing tomorrow. There was also a horribly cold wind, and just general suck. Winter has arrived, with no Autumn at all. Two weeks ago, we were breaking heat records left, right and centre. In Seattle it was nice weather, mostly sunny, and you usually didn't need a coat. I come back, everything looks fine. I wake up for work, and it's snowing and freezing my fingers off.

Sigh.

Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.

Makes next year all that more anticipated.

1 comment:

  1. BrickCon was awesome! I'm sad it's over too :( time flies when you're having fun.
    I absolutely had a blast too! I hope to catch you at BrickCon again next year (if we can make it) :)

    ReplyDelete