My photo
A gentleman thief in search of common sense.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One is better than the other.

Either men are better than women, or women or better than men. That is the message that one can take from the Olympic games. They are going to be happening in my homeland in two days time, and like all good Canadians, I am down on bended knee praying that we might get at least one gold and so redeem ourselves in the eye of.....ourselves? Something like that.

I don't know, for I am not particularily enthralled with what will be going on. I'll probably watch an event or two if I am around and have the time (by around, I mean around my TV). I'm mildly interested if my nation can live up to it's cold reputation and do well in winter Olympics. Though I really have to wonder just what is so wintery, or even sporty, about bobsleding. I'm pretty sure no Canadian kid grew up with a bobsled run. But yeah, not going crazy about the Olympics.

Though it's definately been a good thing for the economy. Right?

The one thing about the Olympics that catches my eye though is the complete segregation of men and woman. I can imagine that there might be some reason to have the more...physical sports seperate. Supposedly the men are better at hockey then woman...right? I don't know, but that's what they tell me.

BUT! Surely some of the more...gravity oriented sports could be merged. I mean, really, why couldn't a woman participate in the men's ski jumping thingy? So far as I can figure out, there is no unfair advantage that either side would have. And even if you could have some vague reason for that, there is one sport that you simply cannot argue against being merged. Curling. I just can't see why men and woman couldn't play this sport together. How does the act of throwing a rock down a sheet of ice, or doing a bit of sweeping required such effort that a man could do it better than a woman? Or visa versa? It just doesn't make sense.

So clearly, the Olympics are trying to tell us that one is better than the other. Which is better? Who knows really? Just consider all the sports where the reason for segregation isn't immediately obvious (next to all of them) and if you can find the reason why, then you have your answer.

Cheers Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment